Thursday, October 25, 2012

Be Still

There are some words many of us hate. I personally HATE the word "bunion"... Every time I hear the word I make a disturbed famous "Shae face". Another word I used to hate was the word "solitude" because I couldn't think of anything worse than being alone. I used to hate having to stay home alone because there was nobody to talk to, nothing to do, nobody to kill spiders, and nobody to prank. Just me. I am such an extrovert and kinda go crazy when nobody else is around. Even my time with the Lord was usually spent around people. I  hated solitude until I truly understood what it meant and just how beneficial it is.

What does it mean to "Be still and know I am God?" (Psalm 46:10). We live in a society that glorifies busyness. Busyness distracts us from who is in control and keeps us from spending quality time with the Lord. I tend to look at my schedule and then find where I can fit some time in with my Creator rather than giving that the greatest priority and then making my schedule. Being still makes me think of sitting down, relaxing, and letting the Lord work on your heart and communicating with Him. It's so much more than being quiet, it's more like  releasing ourselves from all responsibilities we have and sitting at His feet with an undivided mind.

When God spoke the world into motion, He rested the last day. From the very beginning, God created a pattern for us to follow. He didn't intend for us to constantly be busy and working on something. He calls us to take time to rest, not only physically, but mentally. By taking rest, God is able to renew us and give us strength. When we keep going and going, we tend to believe we are in control and we don't need to rest. I think the Lord also uses rest just to humble us and show us we are not capable of going and going because He did not create us that way. I know when I am busy and do not spend much time with my King, I become weary, and do not have the wisdom I need. When we are still and sit at his feet, He reminds us of His presence, allowing us to be more aware of who He is, and how much He loves us. Isn't it refreshing to know we serve a King who pursues us and wants to have a relationship with us? I think about all the people who serve a false god who is just a statue but our God comes to us and loves and pursues us even when we aren't faithful to Him. The Lord has so much to speak into your heart and so many ways He wants to fill you with His presence. Will you be still and take time to spend with your Creator?

"In silence my soul waits for you alone, O God. From you alone comes my salvation...The Lord will fight for you and you have only to keep still." Exodus 14:14

If you would like to subscribe by email, scroll all the way down and type in your email. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment